The Masons Company of Newcastle upon Tyne

A mason is a worker who builds with concrete, brick or stone, otherwise known as masonry.

Masonry is the building of structures from individual units laid in and bound together by mortar; the term masonry can also refer to the units themselves. The common materials of masonry construction are brick, stone such as marble, granite, travertine, limestone; concrete block, glass block, and tile. Masonry is generally a highly durable form of construction. However, the materials used, the quality of the mortar and workmanship, and the pattern in which the units are assembled can strongly affect the durability of the overall masonry construction.

From: 'Wikipedia: Masonry'

Masons in Newcastle

The ordinary of this society, dated September 1, 1581, constituted them a body incorporated of themselves, with perpetual succession; enjoined them to meet yearly to choose two wardens, who might sue and be sued in the courts of Newcastle, make bye-laws, &c.

That whenever the general plays of the town, anciently called Corpus Christi plays, should be played, they should play "The Burial of our Lady St. Mary the Virgin;" every absent brother to forfeit 2s. 6d.: that no Scotsman should be taken apprentice, under a penalty of 40s. nor ever be admitted into the company on any account whatever; each brother to be sworn; that apprentices should serve seven years; that at the marriages and burials of brethren, and their wives, the company should attend to the church such persons to be married or buried; that one half of their fines should go to the maintenance of the great bridge, and the other half to the said fellowship. July 1, 1674, the society appear to have met in the White Friar Tower, with the Wallers, or Bricklayers, and Metters.

George Maxwell, Mason, who died September 14, 1732, bequeathed the rental of five messuages in Newcastle to this society, for the relief of brethren reduced to poverty by sickness, and of their necessitous widows. May 19, 1742, this fraternity, on their petition, obtained of the corporation of Newcastle a grant of the Cutler's Tower, in the Carliol Croft, which they have since repaired in a handsome manner.

They possess part of the public house in the Close known by the sign of the Waggon, and some property at the foot of the Tuthill Stairs.