House Carpenters Company
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Housecarpenters of Newcastle, anciently called Wrights
An ordinary of this society, dated July 3, 1579, constituted the House Carpenters and Joiners a body corporate of themselves, with perpetual succession and power to sue and be sued, & c. in the courts of Newcastle; ordered that they should meet yearly, and choose three wardens, two of whom were to be House Carpenters, and the third a Joiner; and that whenever the general plays of the town, called Corpus Christi plays, should be played, they should play the “Burial of Christ,” which anciently belonged to their fellowship: that no apprentice should serve less than seven years; no Scotsman to be taken as such under penalty of 40s. nor to be made free on any account.
It further enacted, that the Joiners should work at the sealing of houses within, the making “dorments and windows,” “drawn tables of frame-work, and tables with turnposts,” “buffet-stools,” “forms,” “cupboards,” “almeries,” “pressers,” “chairs, and sconces of frame-work,” “Casements,” “trellising of windows,” “buttries of framed work,” “framed chists,” and all others pinned with wood, “as also every other kind of joiner’s work.” That the two trades should occupy in common the making of buttries, or any other kind of work with “sealing linck,” i. e. one board growen in another, and nailed with iron nails; “chists for corpses, and all other chists not pinned with wood;” “removing of beds, cupboards, and draw-tables, together with making of doors and windows mulder work.” And that half of their fines should go to the maintenance of the great bridge, and the other half to the fellowship.
George Collingwood, House-Carpenter, departed this life the 23d December, 1698, who, by his last will, devised to the stewards and society of this house 40s. to be paid on the 1st of May yearly for ever, and to be employed towards the putting out an apprentice to one of this company of House-Carpenters yearly.
Sir Fenwick Bulmer, Knt. a free burgess of this town, presented to the incorporated company of House-Carpenters, April 19, 1824, the sum of 100 guineas; the interest to be divided amongst the poor widows of this company at Christmas annually for ever.
In consequence of the intended removal of the West Gate, over which they formerly had their hall, a plan for a new meeting-house was laid before the company, May 27, 1805, and approved. The new building, which is of stone, was finished in 1812: it is a handsome structure, situated nearly on the site of the old gate, and was estimated to cost upwards of �1000.
Their meeting house is in the Black Friars.
Most probable date of Incorporation: 1579
A. D. Tate
20 Goodwood Close